Nothing can be more rewarding than riding with your toddler but before you set out, baby safety must me a paramount concern. Choosing the best convertible car seat can be daunting considering the myriad of choices out there. But we compiled some of the things that you have to consider in order to make your choice an easier one.
- SafetyBaby safety as already mentioned should be your paramount consideration when choosing a convertible car seat. Find one that offers good back support while at the same time ensuring that your baby does not fall off the front of the bike. On top of this, the seat must offer comfort for the baby for the entire length of the ride.
- The type of bikeOne of the biggest frustrations for parents is that the seat that they bought for their bike does not mount well on it. When buying a seat, you have to ensure that it mounts properly with the bike that you already have. If you don’t have a bike yet, it’s better to buy a bike that is designed for carrying a baby with it.
- Rear mount or front mountThis is more of a personal choice since both have merits and disadvantages in terms of safety. That being said, front mount should only be used as long as the baby does not block your vision. When the child begins to grow to the point of blocking your line of view, you have to shift to rear mount. This brings us to the next point.
- The size of the childIf your baby is under nine months or over the age of three, you should not use front mounted seats. In addition, if your child does not like to wear a helmet, you should not allow him or her to ride a bike.
- Baby’s handle barsA happy child makes for a happy ride. Parents have experienced that when a child has his or her own handle bar, he or she enjoys the ride more. It will give the feeling of being able to drive and in control of the ride. The child will enjoy the ride more when there is a feeling of being more involved.
- Adjustable foot straps and buckling systemFor added stability, there has to be an adjustable foot strap and buckling system in your bike seat. This will ensure that the baby is free to move around without falling off. Adjust this system according to the size of your child. Make sure that your child stays comfortable even when strapped to the bike seat.
These are some of the considerations when buying a convertible bike seat. While there are literally hundreds of brands out there, having these generic tips will ensure that you will land on a good one for your child. With these tips in mind, you can now head on and make your own research and read reviews for more information and make a wise choice.